This presentation discusses the disturbing trend of reporter arrests during George Floyd-related protests, focusing on how the camera has caused a power shift in the authority of police and the practice of journalism.
Goals of the presentation:
- To show how cameras have documented social ills in society.
- To review reporter arrests in recent George Floyd protests.
- To cite legal ramifications associated with constitutional rights: freedom of press and assembly, unreasonable searches and seizures, and due process.
- To document how cameras and wireless technology have caused a power shift in society affecting authority of police and practice of journalism.
- To make recommendations (a) for curricular changes in general education and (b) for reporters covering protests.